Monday, August 11, 2008

One Day

August 11

One day. One day away from a moment in my life that might define who I am or who I will become. One day away from “Living the Dream” as Nefesh B’Nefesh calls it. Aliyah – to go or rise up both mentally and spiritually to Israel. One day is all that stands between me and fulfilling a dream. A day that will most likely last a lifetime.

Over the past week I have said my goodbyes to many of my close friends and family. My parents, uncle, aunt, brother, sister (even though she’ll be joining me in 2 weeks), and the Ezra staff from Camp Ramah were all people I had heartfelt goodbyes with.

However, I don’t like to think of the goodbye part but rather the chance I’ll have to say hello to many of these people in my new home – Israel. Josh Taff, a good friend and coworker of mine at camp, said, “It’s not goodbye, it’s see you later. In Hebrew, we don’t say שלום – shalom – but rather להיתראות – l’hitraot – meaning see you later.” I took his words to heart as I said some words with each of the aforementioned. Saying to people, “I’ll see you in Israel,” has become my favorite thing to say because it makes me smile along with whomever I’m speaking to. But sometimes we know our wishes or dreams don’t always come true even when we want them so badly. I feel more than fortunate that I am one day away from fulfilling one dream of mine. However, when saying farewell to the Ezra staff, I realized just how hard it is to leave people you hold close to you, especially when you don’t know the next time you are actually going to see them.

My fellow coordinators who I admire immensely had already done more than enough for me when, on top of it all, they asked each Ezra staff member to say a memory or thought about me on our last night together. When these things occur, you hope that you’ve done something, one thing, to impact their lives so that you don’t see where you might have missed a beat. Because, at the end of the day, just even smiling at someone might have positively changed that person’s day which, in turn, could change their life forever. Think about it – it’s true.

I was humbled by the words spoken by the Ezra staff and I kept thinking that I want to see each of them in Israel, without a doubt. A few of them promised a visit, but how certain can we be that this is so possible? I am going to see my parents in December. I am going to see my brother in the summer. These beautiful people who taught me how to view life for its positives only and never to give up? Unknown. This is another example of why nobody should ever let go of what they have until the last possible second, if not at all, because you’ll miss it so much when that sad time comes.

Dr. Seuss’ books caught my eye at Target the other day, specifically Oh the Places You’ll Go. I always look towards the end at a favorite page of mine: “And will you succeed? Yes! You will, indeed! (98 and 3 / 4 percent guaranteed.) KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!” There are two ways to look at this. One way is thinking what if we land in the 1 ¼ percent area where we don’t succeed? Do we just give up? The second way to view this is by seeing that confidence is vital, just not 100% certainty so as to lose your motivation or drive to finish any undertaking. The first view has to be battled back by saying to yourself, “No! Failure is not the option. I will try my hardest even if it doesn’t work out the first time. The second view speaks to me because it says if we take something for granted, then we aren’t doing the thing for ourselves. We must believe we can move mountains and find the mental and physical strength inside to complete even daunting tasks such as this. This is what Dr. Seuss is stressing – confident, motivated, yet not cocky.

Almost 2,000 years ago this week on the 9th of Av in the Jewish calendar, the Romans dispersed the Jews and tried to destroy the people and their culture. Almost 2,000 years later in the present, the Jews inhabit Israel and make her flourish. Tomorrow I take the next step to becoming a part of that land, that people. The Romans might have thought that was the end of the Jewish people. Think again – Israel is alive and well and I’ll be embracing her within one day. One day that will be overwhelming and exciting. One day between me and Israel.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

May your new homeland be all that you hope it will be and more. With gratitude from Bradley, who's life you have so positively impacted. Hope to visit you in Israel someday.