Saturday, September 12, 2009

The American Reunion Tour

July 31



Fresh off of finishing our big training and being official fighters in the army, we knew we had about a month of random tasks and tidbits to take care of before the tank commander’s course would start. None of us really knew what this meant or what would be happening, but what we did know is that sitting around and doing nothing was not something we wanted to be doing. Becoming bored (among other things) in the army is an easy way to lower motivation and the drive that keeps soldiers wanting to give or fight because they feel somewhat insignificant. Thankfully, the five weeks weren’t all going to be a bore, but surely there would be many moments that would make us want to pull (the little amounts that are allowed of) our hair out.



The first week was taking place during an exercise of the entire brigade – all of the generals, commanders, hummer drivers, etc. Of course, what is an exercise if there is no enemy, which is where we came in to play. For the entire week, we wore old American uniforms and pretended to be Hezbollah and help the other soldiers practice what they needed to. This was actually a pretty cool experience being able to just sit out in the shetach by ourselves (with three people) for 24 hours straight and plan our own methods of attack with fake bullets and fireworks and things of that nature. Although it was tiring, it was also fun just sitting there with friends for hours on end and getting to do something that was like playing in a huge game of hide and seek.



After the week ended, I was fortunate enough that my parents came to visit me for the second time since I joined the army. This time was a little different than the first mainly that I wasn’t in the middle of training at the time so I wasn’t as tired as usual and I had many more things added on my uniform from when they saw me (well actually everything – my unit tag, my beret, pin on the beret, pin on my uniform, dog tag cover…you get the picture). And one other thing that I had with me when I met them at the airport was my gun, something that I was actually very proud to see them with because in my opinion that’s one of the things that shows that you’re a fighter in this army and shows the responsibility you have walking around with an actual firearm. Because from where most of us grow up, seeing anyone with a gun is a frightening sight…here, it is very regular to see the fighters with their guns and I was happy to finally be joining that honorable group. It was really great spending time with my parents on the beach in Tel Aviv and just feeling like I was on vacation and being able to see my friends at night.



During the weekend it dawned on me that the next four weeks before the course would start were going to end up being awfully dull and tedious and realized that by the time my course would end, it would almost be a year in the army, the amount of time in which I can use an allotted 30 days to travel to the U.S. to see friends and family. So I on a spur of the moment and relatively last minute, I flew to the U.S. for 15 days to see friends and family that I hadn’t seen over the span of a year – I like to think of it as a reunion tour of sorts. I wasn’t really sure what the feeling was going to be like to fly to America and be a tourist of sorts and to answer questions about what I do and also if I was going to miss being in Israel or realize that maybe America was a better place for me. That somewhat made me anxious because then I would have many mixed feelings about what I was doing in Israel. But, I decided it was definitely worth it to go through with the trip.


The first stop on this tour was the L.A. area where I ended up at Camp Ramah for the weekend, going there to surprise everyone and see the adults with special needs which I had worked with for a few summers because, to be honest, I missed them as much as anyone throughout my time in Israel. It was really excellent to see so many friends in one place and to be at a place where I wouldn’t hesitate to say has been one of my “secondary homes” throughout the years. On the way out of California, I visited my Uncle Danny and Aunt Helene in Oxnard and was able to spend a quality day with them. My next stop on my tour was to see the city which I grew up in – Albuquerque, New Mexico. I travelled to see my grandparents whom I hadn’t seen in a very long time and it was just so nice to sit with them and talk about life. After seeing them, I headed back to Tucson for the first time since last June. Besides seeing all of my family and friends, it was a weird but nice feeling to see the city which I had called home for seven years before moving to Israel (of course it is always better in every place when you have the feeling of vacation and are free of most responsibilities).



The time then came to make my way back here, back home. I had a really great time in America, but I would be lying if I said I wasn’t excited to be returning to Israel. When I was randomly placed next to an Israeli on the place from Tucson to Chicago, I realized how much I loved being Israeli, simply being able to talk in Hebrew when the opportunity popped up and be even more proud of the fact that I was Jewish than when I lived in America. As I boarded the plane from London to Tel Aviv, I began to gain a sense of satisfaction. This stemmed from the feeling that I had just travelled as an Israeli for the first time and almost carried myself as a messenger and liaison to show others how great Israelis are and how great the country is and the fact that it was me that had this awesome job. On Sunday, I begin a new chapter in my army experience and my path as an Israeli. It is going to be challenging but in the end I also know it will be rewarding. Because who would want to be bored anyways when instead you can get pushed to the limits both physically and mentally in order to become to best possible soldier in defending the country you love? I know I wouldn’t…and that’s why I’m happy to be back in this great country of Israel.

No comments: