Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Life's Point

June 9-10, 2008

Since my official decision to move to Israel turned even more real when I received confirmation of my one-way flight and got my Aliyah visa, I have been having dreams about Israel on a nightly basis. Sometimes they are short sections of other dreams, involve people from the Garin Tzabar (program I’m going with), and other instances there are full out dreams themed around the idea of being in Israel.

This is all well and good, but it almost means nothing if I can’t decipher what they are saying. When I picture the kibbutz I’m moving to with my friends, Israeli pioneers, and jungle animals (of all things), there must be a deeper meaning. I’m certainly open to ideas, but the fact that every person and animal were living peacefully is a starting point. The next few months will probably contain many similar situations – but jungle animals?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oWBuvi8h1A - Video of my kibbutz!

About eight months ago, my sister had to do a project that documented an individual making a “big choice.” Not only do I not see myself as someone who is about to partake in something that should be placed on a pedestal, but at that time this decision was still only a progressive thought. Inside of her documentary video, she interviewed many individuals asking them their opinion of my choice; answers ranged from proud to scared and from jealous to supportive.

As I stated earlier, I feel fortunate for the life I’ve had up to this point and for the family and friends inside of that life. Without their help and opinions, I’m sure I wouldn’t have always made all of the right decisions. So, as I’m watching the video for the first time, one of the last people shown in the video is yours truly. Allison asks why I am making the choice that I hadn’t made yet and I give the answers mentioned in the beginning of my journaling. I was just surprised I looked somewhat articulate up to that point in the filming.

Next, she asked me if I take into account what my family and friends say about my next step. I explained that not only do I hold many people close to my heart but also their guiding words. However, there comes a point when sometimes you have to think seriously about when it is time to go with your dream and your heart. Do I feel badly that many close friends and family members are scared for me and think I could be making other decisions? Yes, somewhat; but its’ still my ultimate decision and I know I’ll always be able to look to them for support and love.

It’s strange to think that at this very moment there are only a small percentage of people who have or have had similar feelings as me. My fellow Garin members and people who have preceded me on this journey are the majority of this group of people. Overall, though, that’s a small number and it’s hard to find people who have to come to the same choices I am going through currently.

Tonight at Shavuot dinner, a fun 12 year old friend of mine, Noam, said, “What’s the point of life? I don’t see it. There’s a few years of nothing when you’re born, then you go to school for a long time, which you do to get a job, which you do to get money, which you get to buy things like food, and you do all of this until you can retire which is when you’re old. And then you die.”

“Wow,” I thought. Is this how many people, especially kids, perceive the world? if so, that is very depressing. Although nearly everything mentioned above are parts in our lives that almost all of us will get to experience, that would be extremely dull, don’t you think? Where is the sense for adventure? The idea that it’s OK to go off the course for a little bit is non-existent in many people, such as today’s youth?

I’m a big advocate of everyone getting the best education they can and using that education to do wonderful things (including the whole job thing). Heck, I did just get a degree in elementary education. But to imagine that there are numerous people who think there is one way to live life, thus making it “pointless,” is disappointing. I am not saying I want people to necessarily choose my exact path. It can be going to Africa to volunteer. Nepal to hike. South America to become a world class soccer player. SOMETHING! Dream big.

Life should have a point. Have something different to live for than just the usual. It makes everything else come together and gives us all life perspective we didn’t previously have. So I plead – make a point in your lives to have a point. And while you’re at it, make sure the others around you get the message, too and to live life to the fullest, not just to the book.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So proud of you, DA!

Looking forward to many more updates, stories, thoughts, etc.

All my best to you, always.

-Spooner

Anonymous said...

have i told you lately that i love you?!

...well i do.

and i honestly can't wait to be in the same place with you so that all of that positive energy and zest for life rub off on me :)

you're just amazing. that's all.
-myra-

Unknown said...

Proud of you too!
Also, Kibbutz Hazorea is 5 minutes from my home..Dir Ballak! (slang for: open invitation)

Anonymous said...

David I want to say a couple of words about how you described your mother into your own life. I loved how you remember the good old times that you had with her.

Tikun Olam to save the whole world and lives that people are in.

Sivan